College Senators’ Committee reported to the Senate.
Faculty Senate Meeting
Note: To facilitate open discussion, the identity of most Senators making comments or questions is not recorded. Such comments as recorded here are generally not verbatim. The identity of comments from Senate Officers and Senate Ad Hoc and Standing Committee Chairs are given, as is the identity of persons commenting in their official administrative capacity (e.g. EVP, Provost, or College Dean.)
Call to Order
President Matthew Phillips called the Senate to order in Broyhill Auditorium.
Approval of February Meeting Minutes (unanimous)
Announcements and Updates
- The March meeting is returning to Zoom and will include elections of the incoming Executive Committee who will begin terms April 1, 2022.
- Nominations Committee – Mark Knudson: A review of the slate of nominations was presented.
- Integration Committee – Melissa Jenkins: The committee is planning to create a “Collaboration Celebration” later in the semester, with April 7 as the target date. The committee is seeking panel speakers and ideas for workshops about collaboration. This should be an opportunity for faculty across the university and across units.
- Resources Committee – Simone Caron: Report on efforts to establish childcare on campus. See attached report in the appendices.
- Fringe Benefits Committee – Pat Lord: The University is looking for a new medical insurance plan. See attached report in the appendices.
- Athletics Committee – John Sumanth: See attached report in the appendices.
- Compensation Committee – Katy Harriger: See attached report in the appendices.
- Committee of Collegiate Senators – Ellen Kirkman: Comments from faculty about lack of communication and reasonable distribution of accurate and up-to-date information regarding several issues including the pandemic and upadated policies and procedures from the registrar. The central role of faculty on campus and in governance needs to return in the post-covid environment.
- Comments from the President of the Faculty Senate praising the hard work of all University Senate Committees.
- Nominations Committee Report
- Resources Committee Report
- Fringe Benefits Committee Report
- Athletics Committee Report
- Compensation Committee Report